A few inches were all that separated first place from second.

Washington soccer (10-7) was the latter Saturday in the finals of the Christian Youth Council / Bob Guelker Soccer Tournament in the Monsignor Lloyd Sullivan Division, losing 1-0 against Wentzville Liberty (12-2).

Liberty scored the only goal of the contest in the 28th minute off a header by Evan Sacks that snuck by Washington goalkeeper Christian Longseth, assisted by Casey Porter.

It was the only score Washington allowed in the entire tournament after Longseth shut out Alton in the semifinals the day before after previously shutting out St. Pius and Fox in the preliminary rounds. Ottmar Escalante did the honors in the team’s 20-minute shutout victory against Affton on Wednesday that was shortened after being rained out earlier in the week.

“Jeremiah Collins and Zach Harms there in our center back played phenomenal,” Head Coach Derek Schriewer said. “They shut down some good players this week. We talked about it yesterday and we talked about it today, in these big games it can be a set piece that causes the difference and they get a header and that’s the game. It’s the only goal we give up and it’s the one that matters.”

A few minutes later, Washington got its best chance to score on a play in the box off the head of Zach Subke. Liberty goalkeeper Seth Kamerer aggressively moved to take the ball away, trapping it against Subke’s head before losing his grip.

“Subke’s a tall guy,” Schriewer said. “He can get his head up there with the keeper’s hands and I thought it was a great play and one of those plays that can lead to an important goal.”

 The ball dropped from Subke’s head to a charging Jared Lopez, who was faced with an open shot at the net. However, his kick went just over the crossbar.

“He’s a kid who puts himself in a lot of situations that other players can’t,” Schriewer said. “Sometimes that means you’re moving too fast to be in control and that was that situation. I think he sprinted about 10 yards to get to that situation and sometimes your momentum is your problem.”

Although unable to get the final win, the Jays’ performance still rates as the team’s best finish at the CYC tournament.

“This is our first time out of it and to get that semifinal win felt pretty good,” Schriewer said. “We knew that this was an important game, a big tournament in St. Louis, and we were really wanting that win to have that belief when we get to the postseason we can make that run. I think we still have that belief. It’s just when you play five games in four days — they played five in five, but we played five in four. I just think in a lot of ways we just didn’t have the pop that would get us in behind and cause some problems for them. We still created chances and played really well in the second half. We were getting our legs, I think, in the first. We were a little sluggish.”

Conlan Jarvis continued to lead the team’s offense at the tournament, scoring a goal and recording an assist in the 2-0 semifinal victory against Alton Friday. He finished the tournament with 18 points (six goals and six assists), highlighted by a hat trick in the one half against Affton and four assists earlier that same night against Fox.

Collins picked up his ninth point (two goals, five assists) of the tournament Friday by assisting Jarvis’ goal in the first half against Alton.

Subke had the other semifinal goal off Jarvis’ assist in the second half.

Longseth saved all 15 of his chances in that contest.