St. Clair followed its fourth-place district showing by finishing in the same spot in the team standings during the Class 3 Sectional 3 boys track and field meet Saturday at Ozark High School.
Helias captured the sectional boys title with 63 points, one point ahead of second-place Blair Oaks.
Bolivar finished third with 55 points and St. Clair was fourth with 43.
Borgia, Union, Pacific, Owensville, Sullivan and St. James also were among schools at the meet.
“I’m very proud of the athletes and events that got through. I was surprised that Terrance Stahlman did not make it in the long jump. He got through last year, but he scratched on three of his four jumps this year,” said St. Clair Coach Dave Purviance. “Rickey Grivetti ran very strong in the 100-meter dash and the 200-meter dash. Spencer Crumbaugh did very well and is very consistent in the long jump. The 800-meter relay team set a new school record of 1:30.06. Our goal now is to run under 1:30.”
The top four finishers in each sectional event qualified for the Class 3 state meet, which takes place Friday and Saturday at Lincoln University in Jefferson City.
Following are the events with winners, area state qualifiers (top four) and area participants.
• High jump — Southern Boone’s Landon Bartel won at 6-8. Pacific’s Danny Dieckmann finished fourth at 6-0. Pacific’s Ryan Lause was sixth.
• Pole vault — Nevada’s Morgan Hold won at 15-6. No area state qualifiers. Owensville’s Jeremiah Hinch was fifth. St. Clair’s Dalton Ulrich was eighth.
• Long jump — Mt. Vernon’s Shane Williams won at 22-6. St. Clair’s Spencer Crumbaugh finished second at 21-4. Union’s Ryan Schumaker placed fourth at 20-9. St. Clair’s Terrance Stahlman was fifth.
“Ryan keeps finding a way to move on to the next meet. He’s kind of flown under the radar and is jumping well,” said Union Coach Chris Kelley. “We’ll see if we can get him fine-tuned to make the finals at state and get a chance to medal.”
• Triple jump — Mt. Vernon’s Williams won at 44-3 1/4. No area state qualifiers. Owensville’s Drew Garner was sixth.
• Discus — Blair Oaks’ John Karsten won at 162-6. Owensville’s Trevor Nicks took fourth at 146-10.
• Shot put —Helias’ Will Fife won at 55-1 1/4. Owensville’s Nicks finished second at 49-11 3/4.
• 3,200-meter relay — Osage won in 8:15.8. Pacific’s Isaiah Hudson, Tristan Moore, Joon Kim and Dieckmann placed fourth in 8:26.55.
• 100-meter high hurdles — Southern Boone’s Bartel won in 15.07. No area state qualifiers.
• 100-meter dash — Blair Oaks’ Dominic Jamerson won in 11.34. St. Clair’s Rickey Grivetti took second in 11.36. St. Clair’s Adam Brott was seventh.
• 800-meter relay — St. Clair’s Jonathon Benkert, Terrance Stahlman, Crumbaugh and Grivetti won in a school record time of 1:30.06.
• 1,600-meter run — Springfield Catholic’s Evan Craig won in 4:39.02. No area state qualifiers. Pacific’s Kim was fifth.
• 400-meter relay — Bolivar won in 43.57. No area state qualifiers. Sullivan ended seventh. Union was eighth.
• 400-meter dash — Bolivar’s Haryl Starkey won in 48.53. No area state qualifiers. Borgia’s Luke Schriewer placed sixth.
• 300-meter low hurdles — Cassville’s Cody Frana won in 39.37. Owensville’s Devon Dowler placed second in 40.45. St. James’ Richard Byfield was fifth.
• 800-meter run — Marshfield’s Cole Burchfield won in 1:58.38. Sullivan’s Chris Erxleben finished third in 2:00.96. Pacific’s Kim and Dieckmann were seventh and eighth, respectively.
• 200-meter dash — St. Clair’s Grivetti won in 22.39.
• 3,200-meter run — Seneca’s Shane Murphy won in 10:21.35. No area state qualifiers.
• 1,600-meter relay — Helias won in 3:30.3. Union’s Logan Bellamy, Drew Graham, Dustin Longsdon and Jordan Nowak finished fourth in 3:34.82. Borgia was seventh.
“The boys 1,600-meter relay members all ran their best splits of the year. They are the first 1,600-meter relay boys team I’ve had qualify for state,” Kelley said. “We have two seniors on this year’s team and both of them are members of this relay. I’m glad we were able to get them to state.”