It starts Friday night.
The final run-up to the start of the high school football season takes place as area teams head to jamborees around the region.
With one week to go before the start of the high school season, teams are trying to make final tweaks to their units to be fully prepared once the starting whistles are blown next Friday.
It’s also a chance for players to get out and hit someone wearing a different uniform with a different playing style than what they’ve seen in practice. They’ll get a chance to compete with referees and real consequences for committing fouls.
Known jamborees for area teams are:
• Washington High School — Washington, Borgia, SLUH and Cardinal Ritter starting at 6 p.m.;
• Sullivan — Sullivan, Pacific, St. James and Salem starting at 7 p.m.;
• Rolla — Union, Rolla, Waynesville and Poplar Bluff starting at 7 p.m.;
• Jefferson (Festus) — St. Clair, Jefferson, Perryville and Fredericktown starting at 6:30 p.m.; and
• Blair Oaks — Owensville, Moberly and California starting at 7 p.m. Another group consists of Blair Oaks, Centralia and Helias.
Football is not the only sport which gets to enjoy the preseason scrimmages. Pacific soccer competed at the Hillsboro Jamboree Thursday, the first for area teams.
Other Friday jamborees are:
• Pacific softball joins Festus and Seckman at the Seckman event starting at 3 p.m.;
• Washington softball hosts Waynesville and Rolla at Lakeview Park starting at 4 p.m.; and
• Union softball goes to Francis Howell along with Sullivan and Lindbergh starting at 4 p.m.
Jamborees set for Saturday are:
• Union soccer hosts Borgia, Sullivan and Hancock starting at 9 a.m.;
• St. Clair softball plays in the St. James event starting at 11 a.m. Hermann also will be there. St. Clair is scheduled to play the first two scrimmages; and
• Pacific volleyball joins Festus and host North County in Bonne Terre for an event starting at 3 p.m.
The rest of the jamborees are:
• Washington volleyball plays in the Rolla Jamboree along with Waynesville Monday. That starts at 5 p.m., but Washington doesn’t play until 5:45 p.m.
• Washington boys soccer goes to the Waynesville jamboree which starts at 5 p.m. Rolla also will be there;
• Union volleyball hosts Francis Howell Central and Seckman Tuesday starting at 5 p.m.;
• Sullivan hosts St. Clair and Owensville in a volleyball jamboree Tuesday starting at 5:30 p.m.; and
• Borgia volleyball goes to Eureka Thursday, Aug. 17, for the final jamboree. The Lady Knights will play Lafayette and Eureka. The event is being held in the secondary gym as repairs are still being made to the main gym after last spring’s flooding.
High school football teams start the season Friday, Aug. 19. Most other teams start the fall season around the same time.