Two Borgia teams will be competing at their respective jamborees Friday night.
The jamborees are just scrimmages, but they give coaches an idea of what needs to be corrected before the regular season begins. The jamborees also give teams an opportunity to line up against someone other than their own teammates. District assignments have also been released.
• Jamboree — Borgia is hosting a four-team football jamboree Friday with a 7 p.m. start time. Cost is $5 per person.
Teams competing in the jamboree are host Borgia, Washington, Cardinal Ritter and Miller Career. Two scrimmages will be held simultaneously, as teams will play on each half of the field. Each team will run 12 offensive plays and then play defense for 12 plays.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 4 District 3 along with Kennedy, Pacific, Priory, St. Clair, Sullivan, Union and Westminster Christian.
Borgia Coach Dale Gildehaus said he always looks forward to the jamboree.
“The evening goes by very quick with just a total of 36 offensive plays and 36 defensive plays,” Gildehaus said. “You try to get your young kids in but you don’t have much time. This jamboree gives each school a chance to see what kids will win the starting job for next week’s opener plus how much depth you have at each position. It also can show us how much we have improved since our June camp. The jamboree is not about winning. It’s more about what areas we need to work on. After going against one another it will be nice to go against some very good competition.”
The night’s first scrimmages will feature Washington and Cardinal Ritter, with Borgia and Miller Career meeting at the same time. Washington and Miller Career will then scrimmage, with Borgia and Cardinal Ritter meeting. Miller and Cardinal Ritter will face off in the third scrimmage while Washington and Borgia also meet in the final scrimmage of the evening.
Gildehaus noted that the Borgia vs. Washington scrimmage is one the fans of both teams always get excited about. “The kids love to play against Washington and the Washington kids feel the same,” he said.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 4 District 4 along with Kennedy, Union, Priory, Pacific, St. Clair, Sullivan and Westminster Christian.
• Jamboree — Borgia is competing at Eureka Tuesday night, with matches at 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. Lafayette is also competing. The event features two defending state champions. Borgia won the crown in Class 3 in 2013, while Lafayette earned a state championship in Class 4. It’s safe that showdown will be one fans will be looking forward to.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 3 District 8 with Owensville, Salem, St. Clair, St. James, Sullivan and Union.
• Jamboree — Borgia heads to the Timberland Jamboree Friday at 5 p.m. Coach Andrew Alfermann’s Knights will take on Timberland at 5, Poplar Bluff at 6:45 and then Oakville at 7:55 p.m.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 2 District 7 with Christian, Elsberry and Winfield.
• No Preseason Event — Borgia was scheduled to attend a jamboree at Ritenour, but it was canceled. The team will practice Saturday morning instead. The Lady Knights will begin the season Saturday, Aug. 23, in the Union Tournament. The Lady Knights will face last year’s event runner-up Park Hills Central. The tournament is being played at the Union Softball Complex, the only time Union will be playing there this season. Borgia’s first game is on the south field and is set for 10:30 a.m.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 3 District 7 with Christian, Liberty, St. Dominic, Warrenton and Winfield.
• No Preseason Event — Borgia will start the season at the Fleet Feet Classic at Parkway Central on Thursday, Aug. 28, at 4 p.m.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 3 District 2 with John F. Kennedy, Owensville, Priory, Salem, Pacific, St. Clair, St. James, Sullivan, Union, Villa Duchesne, Visitation Academy and Westminster.
• No Preseason Event — The Knights will swim at Fort Zumwalt East on Friday, Aug. 29, at 3:30 p.m. in the first event of the season.
There are no districts in boys swimming.
• No Preseason Event — The Lady Knights will host a season-opening meet with Washington on Monday, Aug. 25, at 3:30 p.m. at Franklin County Country Club.
• District Assignment — Borgia is in Class 1 District 1 with Barat Academy, Clayton, Herculaneum, John Burroughs, Lutheran South, MICDS, Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau), Notre Dame (St. Louis), Ste. Genevieve and Villa Duchesne.