Two teams dominated this year’s Four Rivers Conference football selections.
Champion Sullivan and runner-up St. Clair had 26 of the 30 first team selections and secured all three of the league’s major awards.
Sullivan Head Coach Pat Burke, who guided the Eagles to the league and district championships, was voted as the FRC coach of the year.
St. Clair gathered the two top player awards.
Senior quarterback Kyle Juergens received the league’s offensive player of the year award.
Senior defensive back Adam Brott was named the FRC defensive player of the year.
St. Clair had 14 first team selections to lead all schools. Sullivan was right behind with 12 picks on the first team.
Union had two first team selections while St. James and Pacific each had one player named to the first team. Hermann and Owensville were shut out in first team voting.
The second team had players from all schools. Sullivan and Union each had five picks for the second team. St. James had four second team picks. Pacific and Hermann each had three while St. Clair and Owensville each had one player picked for the second team.
The first team offense started with Juergens at quarterback. He was a unanimous pick.
First team running backs were Sullivan’s Justin Biermann and St. Clair’s Rickey Grivetti. Biermann was a unanimous pick.
First team receivers were Adam Weiland of Sullivan, Jake Ford of St. James, Logan Bellamy of Union and Evan Powell of St. Clair.
The first team tight end was Seth Mesey of Sullivan.
First team offensive linemen were Gus Hecht, Dalton Turner and Jeremy Stumpe of Sullivan and Jake Yerkey and Jake Oermann of St. Clair.
On the defensive side of the ball, Seth Mesey led the linemen as the only unanimous selection. Other defensive linemen were Josh Haynes and Jake Yerkey of St. Clair, Mitch Paneitz of Sullivan and Jeff Hinkle of Pacific.
First team linebackers were Sullivan’s Dalton Turner, St. Clair’s Ben Suntrup and Josh Martin and Union’s Cody Pace.
First team defensive backs were St. Clair’s Adam Brott, Kyle Juergens and Rickey Grivetti and Sullivan’s Justin Biermann.
Sullivan’s Jake Lochner was the unanimous pick as first team kicker. St. Clair’s Adam Brott was selected as the first team punter and Justin Biermann of Sullivan was the unanimous first team returner.
Brott also was a unanimous choice for the first team utility player spot.
Second team choices were:
• Sullivan quarterback Adam Tiefenbrunn;
• Sullivan running back Clayton Mayer;
• Hermann running back Armando Matech;
• Union receiver Jobie Richardson;
• Union receiver Jacob Carman;
• St. Clair tight end Blake Dierking;
• Sullivan offensive lineman Kishan Patel;
• Pacific offensive lineman Ryan Byron;
• Pacific offensive lineman Jeff Hinkle;
• St. James offensive lineman Josh Karnes;
• Union offensive lineman Nathan Collins;
• Owensville defensive lineman Ryan Escalante;
• Union defensive lineman Blake Wright;
• St. James defensive lineman Jake Gleason;
• Sullivan linebacker Clayton Mayer;
• Pacific linebacker Dalton Voyles;
• St. James linebacker Jesse Hays;
• Hermann linebacker Armando Matech;
• Sullivan defensive back Adam Weiland;
• Union defensive back Jacob Carman;
• St. James defensive back Cody Birkner; and
• Hermann defensive back Craig Winkelmann.
Honorable mention selections were:
• Quarterback — Union’s Blake Hulsey;
• Running backs — St. James’ Jesse Hays and Pacific’s Kelvin Klenke;
• Receivers — St. James’ Cody Birkner and Pacific’s Chris Klenke;
• Offensive linemen — St. James’ Jake Gleason, Hermann’s Bryce Kuhn and Owensville’s Logan Shoemaker;
• Defensive linemen — Hermann’s Bryce Kuhn, Sullivan’s JC Beckett and Pacific’s Ryan Byron;
• Linebackers — Sullivan’s Caden Weigl, St. Clair’s Skyler Hutchison and Union’s Nick Maher; and
• Defensive backs — Union’s Logan Bellamy, Sullivan’s David Stack and St. James’ Jake Ford.