Taking advantage of performing in their home town, Borgia and Washington cheerleading squads captured top awards at the Missouri Cheerleading Coaches Association St. Louis Regional event held Wednesday at Borgia.
“This was our fourth year to host this event,” said Borgia Coach Sandi Gildehaus. “The event ran extremely smooth. We had huge crowds for both sessions.”
Borgia captured two first-place awards in the regional. Borgia’s varsity squad won the 3A Large Division title and the junior varsity squad won the JV Small Division trophy.
Borgia’s captains are Shanon Mohesky and Emily Holdmeier. Squad members are Andrea Feldmann, Tess Killmeade, Hanna Michels, Brooke Blythe, Sara Monroe, Brooke Schrader, Abby Wurdack, Carrie Leach, Jill Kampschroeder, Claire Korba, Rachel Frederick, Jamie Gentges, Alexis Roberts, Holly Brinker, Erika Garbs, Darrien Knight, Abbey Hedrick and Bonnie Eckelkamp. Coaches are Gildehaus and Michelle Mueller.
“Our division was packed with talent and I knew we would have to hit our routine to do well,” Gildehaus said. “We had a few pretty rough practices before competition so I was so proud of them for pulling together and fighting for this routine. There is always a bit of added pressure knowing that the event is at Borgia. We want to do well in front of that huge Borgia crowd.”
The Borgia JV roster was not available as of press time.
Washington won the 4A Small division title and the junior varsity team placed second to Borgia in the JV Small Division.
Washington varsity team members are Jenna Riegel, Jenna Rose Backs, Rebecca Lowes, Carli Reed, Brittany Crismon, Emily Stricker, Lauren Lenzen, Taylor Heldt, Courtney Turner, Monica Eckelkamp, Desiree Hofstetter, Kristen Mittler, Kaylynne Luck, Clarissa Gurnow, Morgan Engel, Jamie Sickmann and Haily Griesenauer.
“The girls have worked really hard all summer and they had an awesome performance,” said Washington Coach Risa Thorburg. “We’re looking forward to competing at state.”
Gildehaus praised the Washington team.
“Washington did so great,” said Gildehaus. “Since the event is at Borgia, all my team members are working, but when Washington takes the floor, all the Borgia cheerleaders stop their jobs to fill the gym to watch. We are so proud of our town and I know both teams want to be there to support each other. Congratulations to the Washington cheerleaders and their fabulous coaches.”
One other local school was in the event. Union finished fifth in the 3A Large Division.
Following are the results for every division:
• Junior High — Winfield won with Francis Howell North taking second.
• JV Small — Borgia was first and Washington finished second.
• JV Large — Parkway Central took the top award with Marquette, Francis Howell Central and Francis Howell following.
• 2A Small — Orchard Farm was the winner.
• 2A Large — Lutheran St. Charles took the top prize.
• 3A Small — Festus won with St. Charles West taking second.
• 3A Large — Borgia was first with O’Fallon Christian second, Westminster Christian third, Winfield fourth and Union fifth.
• 4A Small — Washington won with Ursuline and Rockwood Summit taking the next two spots.
• 5A Small — Ritenour took the top spot with Francis Howell North second.
• 5A Large — Marquette was the winner with Eureka, Northwest, Parkway South, Francis Howell and Lindbergh following.
• Superlarge — Parkway Central won.
• Small Coed — Timberland claimed the top spot with Francis Howell Central, McCluer North and Pattonville taking the successive spots.
Qualifying teams will compete in the MCCA State Championships Sept. 14-15 at the Hearnes Center on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia.