Building up for Saturday’s home tournament, the Union wrestling Wildcats swept a quad meet Thursday at Ft. Zumwalt East.
The Wildcats defeated host Ft. Zumwalt East, 72-12; Winfield, 54-24; and Principia, 59-18.
“I thought that we wrestled very well against all three teams,” Union Head Coach Justin Cranmer said. “We went 33-9 overall on varsity and only lost three matches on the JV level. This program has come a long way in the past three years. We went in to the night expecting to win and we took care of business. That was not the case just a few years ago when we wrestled Ft. Zumwalt East. As a team our confidence has improved and we are wrestling more aggressive now.”
Wrestling for Union:
• Dawson Sickmeier (106) won two of his three matches. He pinned Ft. Zumwalt East’s Hunter Hanebrink in 18 seconds and Principia’s Caleb Kelly in 2:15. He lost a 16-0 technical fall to Winfield’s Tyler Moon.
• Josh Clark (113) won twice by pins and once by walkover. He pinned Pyetha Kyaw of Principia in 1:36 and Winfield’s Brandon Davis in 1:18. Ft. Zumwalt East was open at that weight.
“I think that our group of freshmen are really starting to step up and wrestle with confidence,” Cranmer said. “Dawson Sickmeier and Josh Clark both are wrestling tough. It has been nice to have some of those kids come in to the room with a good base of fundamentals from the Junior Wildcats wrestling club. Tony (Kuenzel) does a great job with those kids before they come to high school getting them ready to compete at a high level. They are going to be tough the next four years.”
• Chandler Adkins (120) pinned Principia’s Sawyer Bradley in 5:24. He was unopposed against Ft. Zumwalt East and lost in overtime to Winfield’s Sam Miller, 8-6.
• Nick Ciaccio (126) pinned Winfield’s Brendan Politte in 1:52 and Ft. Zumwalt East’s Nathan Vortherms in 1:20. He earned an 11-1 major decision over Principia’s Jason McEntire.
“I was impressed with my senior captain Nick Ciaccio,” Cranmer said. “He won three good matches. In his first match he won a major decision against a returning state qualifier from Principia. He wrestled tough and looked good down at 126.”
• Tyler Pace (132) pinned Ft. Zumwalt East’s Jacob Eaton in 1:44. He was unopposed against Winfield and earned an 11-0 major decision against Principia’s Alex Kamau.
“Tyler Pace wrestled his first match of the year against a returning state qualifier from Principia too and took home a major decision victory,” Cranmer said. “He wanted to get the pin but he wrestled well and still scored in the bonus for team points. I expect him to have a breakout season this year.”
• Shane Foster (138) pinned Winfield’s Billy Alley in 31 seconds. He was unopposed against Ft. Zumwalt North and lost by a pin to Principia’s Zeya Kyaw in 2:50.
• Dalton Fennessey (145) pinned all three of his opponents, beating Ft. Zumwalt East’s Ian McHugh in 2:46, Winfield’s Patrick Freeman-Pavia in 53 seconds and Principia’s Bucky Brewer in 1:31.
• Lukis Ladyman (152) was pinned in all three of his matches. He lost to Winfield’s Tommy Mathews in 1:33, Ft. Zumwalt East’s Matthew Westhoff in 5:16 and Principia’s Dylan Sheets in 3:54.
• Jake Siddens (160) won two of his matches unopposed, but was pinned by Principia’s Robby Butler in 3:16.
• Dylan Ahern (170) earned a 9-4 decision against Principia’s Sean Hannan. He pinned Ft. Zumwalt East’s Elijah West in 1:37, but lost to Winfield’s Tayler Nicholson by a 12-2 major decision.
• Dalton Kuenzel (182) pinned Jeremiah West of Ft. Zumwalt East in 1:59 and was unopposed in the other two meets.
• Brandan Dunn (195) won all three of his matches by forfeit.
• Kyree Hill-Hinkle (220) pinned Andrew Jackson of Ft. Zumwalt East in 1:14. He stopped Principia’s Ryan Eisenauer in 3:10 and was unopposed against Winfield.
• Tyler Friend (285) won by forfeit in the Principia match. He was pinned in 1:57 by Ft. Zumwalt East’s Joey Bradley and in 1:38 by Winfield’s Tyler Friend.