Union’s girls track team nearly nabbed another meet title Friday, but had to settle for a close second at the Warrenton Invitational.
Union scored 89 points on the girls side to place just behind Troy (89.5) among 15 schools in the meet.
“The girls did a nice job,” Union Head Coach Chris Kelley said. “We put people in events to get them ready for the conference meet and not necessarily to win this meet. To finish a half-point behind the first place team says a lot about the competitive nature of these girls.”
On the boys side, Union placed fourth among 17 schools with 70 points. Holt won it with 110 points while Ft. Zumwalt East scored 109 and Helias ended with 90 points.
“We used this meet to see who could help us for the conference meet in some events,” Kelley said. “We threw Ryan Coons in the 300 hurdles to try and get him a good enough time to make the fast heat for conference. Trevor King continues to improve in the hurdle events. We just need to make sure he peaks at state and not before.”
• Anna Houston won the 100-meter high hurdles in 15.89.
• Union’s 400-meter relay team of Allonah Diez, Justice Oliver, Courtney Zweifel and Amber Tharp won in a time of 52.9.
• The 1,600-meter relay team of Houston, Kayla Kelly, Taylor LaValle and Janna Ruether won in a time of 4:16.65.
• Jill Johnston was second in the high jump at 4-10. She tied Washington’s Abby Stricker, but was dropped to second on attempts.
• Houston was second in the pole vault, clearing 9-6.
• Houston also placed second in the 300-meter low hurdles in 48.51
• Emily Lanham was fourth in the discus at 90-9.
• Union’s 3,200-meter relay team of Kelly, Victoria Kramer, LaValle and Ruether was fourth in 10:19.44.
• Katelyn Riechers cleared 4-8 to place fifth in the high jump.
• The 800-meter relay team of Tharp, Diez, Oliver and Alyssa Pate placed fifth in 1:56.61.
• Kelly was fifth in the 800-meter run in 2:31.55.
• Tharp ended fifth in the 200-meter dash in 28.37.
• Oliver ran sixth in the 100-meter dash in 13.46.
• Ruether was sixth in the 800-meter run in 2:32.39.
• Nick Erwin won the shot put with a throw of 44-3.
• King won the 110-meter high hurdles in 14.84.
• King completed a sweep of the hurdle events, winning the 300-meter intermediate hurdles in 41.42.
• King cleared 5-8 to end third in the high jump.
• Narvell Smith was third in the 200-meter dash in 23.37.
• Demetrius McClain cleared 5-10 to place fourth in the high jump.
• Union’s 1,600-meter relay team of Logan Bellamy, Coons, Drew Graham and Smith placed fourth in 3:39.79.
• Cody Nichols ended fifth in the discus at 115-10.
• The 400-meter relay team of Bellamy, McClain, John Prosser and Smith placed fifth in 45.96.
• King placed sixth in the triple jump with a distance of 39-0.5.
• Joe Laskey was sixth in the discus at 114-6.
• Smith finished sixth in the 100-meter dash in 11.42.