Many local volleyball players were among the masses who converged on the Indiana Convention Center last weekend for the USA Volleyball Nike Mideast Qualifier.
Teams in the 16-18 age groups and the 15 USA and 15 Open divisions played there last Friday through Sunday.
Over 100 courts were used during the event.
Known teams and area personnel who competed are listed below.
Two teams from the local 4Rivers Volleyball Club, based in Washington, competed in the event.
The 4Rivers 16 team, coached by Rachel Schwoeppe, went 5-4 in the 16 American Division, losing in the second round of the silver bracket to Highlands 16 Rox.
The team roster included Assistant Coach Brigette Elbert and players Jenna Barnhart, Emma Elbert, Megan Hanneken, Madeline Hopkins, Emma Kozemski, Olivia Omer, Emily Scheible, Emily Voss and Andrea Zoellner.
The 4Rivers 15 team, led by Sherry Schwoeppe, went 3-4 in the 15 USA Division. The team lost in the first round of the nickel bracket to Union 15 Kentucky Hepp.
The roster includes Assistant Coach CJ Steiger and players Liz Frederick, Abigail Holdmeier, Abigail Hopkins, Katherine Nieder, Madelyn Obermark, Megan Raymo, Gabriella Sauvage, Allison Stapel, Tyelar Steiger and Ellie Unerstall.
Show Me Volleyball Academy, headquartered in Washington, had two teams in the event.
• SMVA 16 Rox, coached by Union High School graduate Shane Allen, tied for fifth in the 16 Open Division.
SMVA 16 Rox went 5-3 in the event, winning its first two pools and defeating overall top seed High Performance 16 Gold, 25-20, 25-16, before losing to Minnesota Select 16-1 in the championship match of the final gold pool to determine the semifinalists.
• SMVA 16 Royal, coached by Christin Hunt, went 3-5 in the event before losing in the opening round of bronze bracket play. Three of the five losses went to three games and two were decided by two points.
Those with area ties on the team include Assistant Coach Sam Walch (Warrenton and East Central College) and Borgia players Jordan Kriete, Allie Marquart and Maddie Toelke.
Some area players compete for teams located outside the area. Those known to have been on competing rosters are:
• Borgia’s Alivia Brinker played on the Team Momentum 16 Navy team which placed third in the 16 USA Division. Momentum won its first eight matches before falling in the semifinals. It recovered to beat Ignite 16 Elite in the third-place match
By virtue of its finish, Momentum has been extended a bid to the USA Volleyball national tournament in Dallas.
• Pacific’s Kersten McDonough played for Team Elite St. Louis 18 Red, which went 3-4 at 18 Open, losing in the first round of the Silver bracket.
• Borgia’s Sarah Geatley played for Team Elite St. Louis 17 Red, which went 2-5 in the 17 USA Division. TESL lost its first match in the bronze bracket.
• Pacific’s Emily Weaver played for the Team Elite St. Louis 18 Black team, which went 4-3 in the event. TESL 18 Black lost in the first round of the copper bracket to Palm Beach Juniors 18E.
• Borgia’s Alexis Ruether played for Rockwood Thunder 17 Blue, which went 5-3 in the 17 American Division. Rockwood Thunder lost in the second round of the bronze bracket.