In just its second season in the sport, Borgia continues to work on building up its fledgling wrestling program.
The Knights took five wrestlers to the Owensville Tournament last Saturday. Borgia scored 17 points to finish 11th among 11 schools.
Herculaneum scored 240 points to win the title by 11 points over Owensville.
Sullivan was third and was followed by Fatima, Park Hills Central, St. James, Festus, Missouri Military Academy, Lutheran South, Springfield Catholic and Borgia.
• Dylan Voss (145) won the seventh-place match over Ben Jennison of MMA. Voss pinned Jennison in the bout. Voss lost his three other contested matches.
• Hunter Warmack (170) won one of his pool matches, earning a 12-10 decision against MMA’s Austin Bouche. He lost in the seventh-place match to Gevin Marmonti of Festus.
• Billy Rombach (182) lost all of his pool matches, but won the ninth-place bout over Fatima’s Aaron McKinney by injury default.
• Dean Lockhart (152) was pinned in his first two matches before suffering an injury and defaulting out of the rest of his bouts. He finished ninth.
• Jacob Sander (132) went 0-4 in the meet with three losses by pins and one by a decision. He finished 10th.
The Knights lost Tuesday, Jan. 8, at Fatima, 66-6, with only five wrestlers competing. Borgia has struggled to gain members. That’s something Head Coach Brad Jacquin hopes to remedy in the future.
As for this season, Jacquin is doing what he can with whom he has.
“We plan on learning from our mistakes and continue to improve every day,” Jacquin said.
Borgia’s lone victory at Fatima was turned in by Voss at 145 pounds. He was unopposed and won by forfeit.
In the other matches:
• Lockhart (152) lost by a pin to Luke DeOrnellis in one minute.
• Warmack (182) was pinned by Arran McKinney in 1:16.
• Billy Rombach (195) was pinned by Matt Jones in 1:23.
• Sander (138) lost by a pin to Matt Stieferman in 53 seconds.
Borgia lost 65-0 at Helias Wednesday, Jan. 16.
Borgia’s wrestlers were:
• Sander lost by pin to Ryan Mankin in 3:01.
• Voss was pinned by Austin Schneiders in 1:03.
• Warmack lost by 16-0 technical fall to Clayton Rockers.
• Rombach was pinned in 1:39 by Nate Jones.