Competing in its first Archdiocesan Athletic Association championship meet, the Borgia boys swim team brought home second place.
Host John F. Kennedy won the meet with 289 points. Borgia placed second with 259 and Trinity was third at 200.
O’Fallon Christian took fourth with 88 points and Bishop DuBourg scored 26 points.
“The boys did great,” Borgia Coach Jennifer Alferman-Molitor said. “We knew it was going to be a toss up for first place. We had lost to Kennedy earlier this month but we beat them last week. I was happy with our finish. I was very happy with how they placed and how they swam. There were some very close races and they gave it their all.”
Borgia will swim in another meet on Saturday. Details were not known as of press time.
Borgia’s conference champions were:
• Michael Matthews in the 200-yard individual medley (2:14.96);
• Matthews in the 100-yard butterfly (55.21); and
• 400-yard freestyle relay team of Connor Kriete, Coleman Kuseliauskas, Matthews and Tommy Ruether (4:00.82).
Placing second were:
• Kuseliauskas in the 200-yard freestyle (2:26.75);
• Ruether in the 200-yard individual medley (2:25.02);
• Kriete in the 50-yard freestyle (27.07);
• Jacob Smith in the 100-yard butterfly (1:05.73);
• Ruether in the 100-yard backstroke (1:08.68); and
• Smith in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:16.48).
Taking third was:
• 200-yard freestyle relay team of Connor Kriete, Dorian Knight, Matt Bruton and Jacob Smith (2:09.72).