MIZZOU ARENA, COLUMBIA — Area fans will be talking about the 2014 MSHSAA Wrestling Championships for quite some time.
Three area wrestlers competed for MSHSAA Class 3 state titles with two winning state championships.
• Pacific’s Austin Repp (170) not only claimed his second successive state title at that weight, but also finished undefeated at 58-0 with a 1:46 pin of Neosho’s Kyle Hostetter.
Repp used a near-side cradle to complete his unbeaten campaign.
Repp concluded his Pacific career with a 203-15 record.
• Union’s Dalton Kuenzel (182) won Union’s first state championship since the 1990s when he pinned Winnetonka’s Markel Fluker in 3:05
Kuenzel, who went 46-2, lost only to Repp this season in two meetings. He was a third-place finisher at 160 pounds last year.
• Washington’s Nicholas Solter (126) finished second, losing in the championship match to Hannibal’s Tyler Janes, 15-0 (5:27). Solter ended the season with a 48-4 record.
Seven other area wrestlers also competed in medal matches Saturday.
In Class 3:
• Pacific’s Josh Franek (120) secured the area’s top non-title bout finish by winning his third-place bout over Neosho’s Gannon Millard, 4-2. Franek fought through the wrestleback bracket after losing in Friday’s quarterfinals to Trey Nelson. Franek finished higher than Nelson in the final standings.
• Washington’s Parker Neptune (113) placed sixth, losing by a 4-0 decision to Platte County’s Matthew Barmann in the fifth-place match. Neptune finished the season at 35-12.
• Washington’s Kyle Summers (182) won his fifth-place bout in commanding style, pinning Platte County’s Adam Muehlebach in 51 seconds. That was a rematch of a Friday quarterfinal match, won by Muelebach by a 13-12 decision. Summers led most of that match before Muehlebach won in the final seconds.
Summers finished the season with a 45-5 record.
• Washington’s Logan Baird (195) was edged by Kearney’s Brandon Adams in the fifth-place bout, 2-1.
• Union’s Joe Lasky (220) was also placed sixth, getting pinned by Kearney’s Tyler Horton in 1:43. Lasky finished the season with a 32-10 record.
In Class 2:
• Owensville’s Alton Harrell (195) finished the season with fourth place, losing by a pin to Oak Grove’s Preston Airington in 2:57. Harrell concluded the campaign with a 47-4 record.
• Owensville’s Christopher Dolles (170) placed sixth, losing by a 4-1 decision against Moberly’s Blake Joiner in the fifth-place match. Dolles finished the season with a 40-12 record.
In the team standings, Washington’s quest for a state trophy faded on the third day. The Blue Jays scored 63 points to place seventh.
Pacific was ninth in Class 3 with 47 points and Union finished 12th with 42 points.
In Class 2, Owensville tied for 23rd with 30 points. St. Clair was 33rd with 7.5 points and Sullivan tied for 38th with three points.
Full coverage will be in The Wednesday Missourian.