Since this is our first issue of 2014, The Missourian extends its best wishes for the new year to all of our faithful readers. Our pledge remains the same — to keep our readers informed, to be fair in our dealings with the general public, report on the activities of our local governments and schools, speak out on issues of the times, give readers a forum for their opinions by publishing letters to the editor, give our businesses the best possible advertising medium and publish a newspaper and through our website provide timely news of the life and times in our circulation area.
The Missourian has been around for a long time. It began 154 years ago — 1860 — as the Franklin County Gazette. In 1861 the name was changed to the Franklin County News. In 1867, it became the Franklin County Observer. That name lasted until 1926 when it became The Missourian. This newspaper has been a weekly publication for most of its life. For a period in the 1920s it was a daily. When The Missourian purchased its competitor, the Washington Citizen, in 1956, twice a week publication began.
It was in July 1937 that James L. Miller, Sr., purchased The Missourian, which is in its 77th year of being owned and operated by members of the Miller family.
We’ve been here a long time. We expect to be around for many more years. We are grateful to our advertisers, our readers, and our excellent staff as we enter 2014. We have strong confidence in the future of this area. Much of our confidence is based on the caliber of people in this area. There is a “can do” spirit here and for raising a family this is the place to be.
Our everlasting goal is to make each issue superior to the last one!