KFC Fined $8 Million for Australia Food Poisoning - The Missourian: World News

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

KFC Fined $8 Million for Australia Food Poisoning

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 9:27 am

SYDNEY (AP) — An Australian judge has ordered KFC to pay 8 million Australian dollars ($8.3 million) to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giant's chicken wraps.

Monika Samaan's family sued KFC, claiming the then-7-year-old girl contracted salmonella poisoning from a KFC chicken wrap in 2005. Samaan was in a coma for months and left with brain damage.

New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman ruled last week that KFC was responsible for the food poisoning. On Friday, he ordered KFC to pay AU$8 million damages plus legal costs.

KFC denied responsibility and said it would appeal.

Samaan's lawyer, George Vlahakis, said the family was relieved the court battle was over, but is upset about KFC's plans to appeal.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

/news/world

NCAA Men's Basketball News