Hose Down Balcony
Washington firefighters were called to Building 24 in the Southwinds Apartment Complex off 14th Street Monday evening to respond to a balcony fire. According to Deputy Chief Tim Frankenberg, the occupant of the apartment, Jessica Lashley, admitted to discarding a cigarette in a hanging flower basket. Frankenberg said the cigarette melted the basket and burned down through the decking made of a composite material. The deputy chief said the fire burned a 6- to 8-inch hole through the second-story balcony in the rear of the apartment. A neighbor used an extinguisher to put out the fire before firefighters arrived around 7:10 p.m. Firefighters were on the scene for about 45 minutes, Frankenberg said.
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:30 pm
Over the extended holiday weekend, Washington fire crews were kept busy with a number of calls, some within minutes of each other.
Saturday at 2:04 p.m., firefighters assisted with a minor motorcycle accident near 5843 Country Club Road.
Or, use your
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:30 pm.