A threat of school violence in Wright City last month has been brought to the forefront again due to the recent slayings in Connecticut last week.
According to an email message sent to parents in the district, on Nov. 20, Wright City High School parents were notified that a possible violent act was being planned for Dec. 21 at the high school. Police investigated the threat and found it unsubstantiated.
However, after the violent shootings in Newtown, Conn., police sent out another notification to parents informing school officials that they are going to continue to monitor the situation.
“Both (school and police officials) continue to believe the alleged threat is without merit,” the email stated. “Regardless, there will be a heightened police presence in the district throughout the week.”
School officials also canceled intruder drills scheduled for this week to not unduly alarm students after the events in Newtown.
Wright City School District Superintendent Chris Gaines told The Record that he has received some phone calls and emails from concerned parents about the unsubstantiated threat.
“Based on phone calls and emails, at this time I anticipate a lower than normal attendance on Friday,” Gaines said.
The superintendent said the Wright City district takes every precaution to minimize the threat of an intruder gaining entrance into the school.
“On a regular basis we have exterior door locks, buzz-in systems at main entrances and security cameras,” he said. “We’ve been looking at things we’ve been doing and continue to strengthen the things we already have in place.”