Union public school board members agreed to the job description last week and soon will begin the search for a district position that will incorporate elements to oversee facilities, curriculum and support services.
Superintendent Steve Bryant told The Missourian that the position is the result of a realignment within the district, and essentially is a combination of duties of the Maintenance Department Supervisor Norman Schroeder and Curriculum Coordinator Jenny Davis.
Schroeder is set to retire after this school year, and Davis recently was named as next school year’s head principal at Clark-Vitt Elementary.
Bryant explained that there will not be a new administrator, and the position will not cost the district additional funds in salary expenses.
The salary for the director of facilities and support services is expected to range between $95,000-$100,000 a year.
“There is no net gain in administrators and no gain in expenditures,” Bryant said. “We are staying within the same budget as last year.”
“This will allow us to better meet the needs of the district at this time, and improve academic programs,” he added.
The person hired for the position will oversee curriculum issues, human resource management, transportation, facilities management, purchasing/procurement activities and any other support services; and coordinate with other administrators.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Judy Stivers said the position is intended to oversee facilities, much as the maintenance department supervisor does now, but also will be fluent in curriculum, transportation and human resource management.
“The position pulls all of those together in an educational standpoint,” she said.
Bryant added that the position will include, “bricks and mortar with educational practices.” He said it provides for future needs for the district.
“This will allow us to better meet the needs of this district at this time and positioning the district for where we need to go,” Bryant said.
He noted that there is some urgency in filling the director’s position because candidates are taking positions within other districts that are seeking administrators.
Following are some of the job duties:
• Coordinate with assistant superintendents, administrative teams, maintenance supervisor, and others as necessary to design/implement/monitor/evaluate programs and services that support the overall curricular and academic program in the service of Union R-XI students;
• Coordinate with all pertinent personnel to supervise, facilitate, and implement effective academic programming with a focus on facility maintenance and usage – efficiency, effectiveness, security, and safety;
• Coordinate with all pertinent personnel and constituency groups to supervise, facilitate, and implement district-wide procurement procedures designed to support the overall academic program of the Union R-XI School District;
• Coordinate with all appropriate entities to provide safe, efficient transportation to the student population inclusive of school attendance and student activities; and
• Coordinate with all pertinent personnel to design/implement/monitor/evaluate effective district-wide human resource protocols assuring compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.