A St. Louis area man who is awaiting trial in a 2011 robbery and assault case was arrested Monday night on new charges that he assaulted the same victim — a Washington woman — in an incident last week.

Washington police arrested the suspect, Chester Stokes, 49, when he returned to the victim’s home off South Point Road Monday evening, a police spokesman said. He was booked at the Franklin County Jail where he was being held on a $75,000 cash-only bond.

He is charged in the new warrant with one count each of first-degree burglary and second-degree domestic assault.

Those charges stem from an April 12 incident, police said.

The victim said Stokes, who she had a previous relationship with, came to her home. After she ordered him to leave, the suspect allegedly used a small sledgehammer to break the window on the front door, entered the house and began beating the victim in the head and face. At one point he threw the victim down a set of stairs, then dragged her back up to the main floor and beat her again before leaving, according to a probable cause statement filed in associate circuit court.

Stokes also was charged earlier this month in a misdemeanor warrant with third-degree domestic assault involving the same victim on April 3, according to reports.

He was free on bond in the Nov. 23, 2011, incident in which he is accused of striking the same woman in the head with a handgun. He then ordered her at gunpoint to withdraw money from her bank account at an ATM machine. After withdrawing an undisclosed amount of cash, Stokes ordered the woman to fill his vehicle with gas and then took her back to her home, according to police.

The suspect then left, saying he would return in a couple of hours to take her to another state.

After he left, the woman called police who questioned her then issued a dispatch to area police agencies.

A short time later, Stokes was stopped by St. Louis County police on Interstate 44 in the Webster Groves area and later turned over to Washington police.

A police spokesman said Stokes, during an interview, denied hitting the woman with the gun.

In 2004, Stokes entered an Alford plea to a charge of second-degree robbery in a St. Louis County case. He was sentenced to serve seven years in the Missouri Department of Corrections in that case, according to online court documents.