Copeland Defeats Tulley in Primary Assessor Race - The Missourian: News

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Copeland Defeats Tulley in Primary Assessor Race

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:00 am | Updated: 2:59 pm, Thu Oct 24, 2013.

Franklin County Assessor Tom Copeland edged out his Republican opponent in the Aug. 7 primary election, earning nearly 60 percent of votes in the race.

Copeland received 7,515, or 59.43 percent, and his challenger, Dan Tulley, received 5,131 votes, the remaining 40.57 percent.

Copeland said winning the primary relieved a big burden for him.

“We ran a good campaign and it worked out well,” he said. “I’m looking forward to another four-year term as the assessor of Franklin County. We’ll see how things come together in November.

“But we still have the general election to work for and we are excited about staying active and being out in the county visiting with people and doing activities in the community,” he added.

Copeland said that he feels confident heading toward the general election.

Additionally, he thanked the community for the support he and his family have received.

“We’ve been very well-received and we feel very blessed and fortunate,” he said. “We’ve worked together as a family-oriented group for the past 40-plus years. It’s something we feel very strongly about and Franklin County has shown that it does look at a lot of issues and family matters is one thing I feel is very important to our community and our country.”

Copeland said that serving the past three years as Franklin County Assessor has been a learning experience.

“There is no end to what you learn every day, every week and every month in this job,” he said.

To keep up with the continuing education demands, Copeland has attended International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) classes and will keep taking continuing education through the Missouri Assessors Association.

Copeland noted that there are three certified appraisers in his office who also attend continuing education to stay knowledgeable.

In mass appraisals, he said, there are many differentials “we have to continue to monitor and educate ourselves on.”

Continuing education also helps keep staff knowledgeable on laws, which change on a continual basis.

“Education never stops. Whether it’s in a classroom setting, work setting or across the counter from the citizens,” he said. “We enjoy working with the people of our county through the process of their assessment.”

Copeland also credited his staff for his past successes.

“I want to say a big thank you to Franklin County for supporting me in this first round in the upcoming new term for the assessor of Franklin County,” he said.

Copeland has owned Copeland Construction for the past 35 years. He also is co-owner of Belvia’s Blooms Flower Shop and Scoops ’n More Ice Cream Store, which he owns with his wife Karen.

He is a member of the Church of Life Nazarene in Union and a member of the Union Rotary Club.

In November, Copeland will face off against Liberterian candidate Robert Trokey, Sullivan, and Democratic candidate Angela J. Beckett, Union.

Neither had opposition in Tuesday’s primary.

/news

Jobs