Squirrel Dinner Prep Maybe Sparked Michigan Fire - The Missourian: National News

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Squirrel Dinner Prep Maybe Sparked Michigan Fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 9:00 am | Updated: 10:06 am, Fri Oct 12, 2012.

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.

Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.

The resident's name wasn't immediately released.

Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.

Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.

The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

/news/national

Jobs