The Washington Fire Department responded to a house fire at 515 Klingsick Lane Thursday morning, Jan. 2, at about 6:32 a.m. The fire started in a second-floor bedroom.

Washington Fire Chief Bill Halmich said the fire was under control within five minutes of the department's arrival on scene.

Halmich said the cause of the was an overloaded circuit that had a space heater and other appliances plugged into it.

There were no smoke detectors on the second floor, Halmich said.

Firefighters were on the scene until just after 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

Read more in the Weekend Missourian.