Cub Scout Troop 988 got quite a scare Wednesday night, Sept. 14 when the building they were holding their meeting in filled with smoke and they were forced to evacuate.

According to Washington Fire Chief Bill Halmich, his department was called for a possible structure fire at the Latter-day Saints Church located at 110 East 14th St. Washington, at about 7:15 p.m.

Upon their arrival, firefighters found smoke showing from multiple sides of the building, but mainly concentrated in the rear.

Halmich said Scoutmaster Rob Hervey saw the smoke entering the building, pulled the fire alarm then evacuated his 18 Scouts outside.

“The scoutmaster set a perfect example for his Scouts,” Halmich said. “He did exactly what he should have done in an emergency like that.”

The source of the smoke was a large electrical distribution box on the outside of the building.

Firefighters pulled power to the building and were able to contain the fire to that area.

Halmich said crews then checked the attic of the structure for any fire extension and none was found.

The building remained without power the rest of the night and an electrical contractor was on the scene Thursday morning to repair the damage.

Halmich said there were no injuries and his firefighters were on the scene about an hour and a half.