Washington Police Chief Ken Hahn said officers have located a woman who reportedly was encouraging two young children to give candy to St. Francis Borgia Grade School students through the playground fence.

The police department received calls about the initial incident Thursday at 12:15 p.m.

On Friday morning, officers received a call that the subject was back on West Third Street west of Cedar Street and adjacent to the grade school playground.

Officers responded and located a white female, age 41, who lives in Reed Spring, Mo., near the Arkansas border.

Upon investigation, the female told officers she was the person whose 9-year-old child and a friend handed candy through the fence to the Borgia school kids.

“She said when the candy was handed to them, they (the students) gave it back, stating they shouldn’t take candy from strangers. She realized this was probably not the smart thing to do,” said Hahn.

The woman presented her identification and was positively identified. She said she is in Washington visiting a friend while her son and a friend, the two children who passed out the candy, are on spring break.

“This turned out to be a misunderstanding,” Hahn said.

The investigation revealed no criminal wrongdoing, he added, and St. Francis Borgia Grade School was notified of this outcome.

Hahn said school officials did the right thing by reporting the incident and taking the actions that they did.


Washington Police Chief Ken Hahn said his officers have been directed to give extra attention to the area around St. Francis Borgia Grade School following an incident Thursday afternoon.

Hahn said his office investigated a report that a woman and two children where seen outside the fence of the playground about 12:15 p.m. during the lunch recess while second and third graders were playing.

Some of the students notified a teacher on playground duty that the woman allegedly was encouraging her two children to give candy through the fence to the students.

Students were called inside and outdoor activities were cancelled for the rest of the day.