Mrs. Agnes Schaumberg Meyer, Washington, recently donated a working antique spinning wheel to the Washington Historical Society Museum.
Mrs. Meyer, a great fan of auctions, bought the spinning wheel many years ago and had it refurbished. She said the antique was highly sought after and that the bidding on it was lively. She was determined to have it and was delighted to be the successful bidder.
Current plans are for the spinning wheel to be displayed at future teaching and touring events held on the Kohmueller Farm. The 1879 Kohmueller Farmstead, located in Hillermann Park, is owned by the city of Washington and is under the care of the historical society.
Mrs. Meyer, who grew up on the Schaumberg Farm in Hermann, is a descendant of German immigrants and is a keeper of her family history. Her great-grandfather, Christian Schaumberg, immigrated to St. Louis with his wife, Caroline.
Originally a barber in St. Louis, he fell in love with the hills of Hermann and bought 300 acres of land there in 1835. When Caroline passed away, Mr. Schaum- berg married Elizabeth Weber, who became Agnes’ great-grandmother.
Agnes Meyer and her late husband, Harold Meyer, owned and operated the Western Auto store in New Haven for many years, commuting from Hermann.
Mrs. Meyer became interested in Washington after attending an auction. In 1995, she sold the family farm and moved to Washington.
She has three daughters and sons-in-law, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and has just had a new great-great-grandchild.
The Washington Historical Society is a nonprofit organization which exists to preserve, protect and promote Washington history and artifacts. Funds to operate the museum are derived entirely from fund-raisers, modest membership dues, cash gifts and bequests and donations such as Mrs. Meyer’s.
For more information about the Washington Historical Society, people should call Museum Director Marc Houseman, 636-239-0280, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.washmohistorical.org.