Union aldermen moved forward with plans for the city’s annual street work and agreed on how to spend savings from projects that came in under projections.
At Monday’s meeting, the board of aldermen approved two contracts with NB West Contracting Company, St. Louis, for both overlay and chip and seal work. Both projects came in under budget giving the city a savings of around $80,000.
Aldermen agreed to use the savings to fund other projects, including irrigation work for the soccer fields at Veterans Memorial Park for around $33,000 and to add $20,000 to the city’s sidewalk improvement fund.
The rest of the money would be left unspent.
Mayor Mike Livengood said the two proposed projects were good ideas for the saved money.
NB West was the low bidder for the street projects.
For the overlay work, West bid $293,082.94. For the chip and seal, West bid $97,683,40.
Pace Construction, Overland, bid $327,946.85 for the overlay work and did not submit a bid for the chip and seal. Missouri Petroleum, St. Louis, bid $99,073.97, but did not bid for the overlay.
The city had close to $471,000 budgeted for the two projects. Based on NB West’s bid, the project should be around $80,000 under budget.
Not only was the project under budget, but Public Works Director Harold Lampkin said the city is doing slightly different, and more expensive, work.
Traditionally the city has done a 2-inch overlay, but Lampkin pushed for a 3-inch overlay.
Lampkin said it creates a smoother surface and last longer.
Lampkin said earlier this year the goal was to start work in August and have everything wrapped up by the end of the season in October.
The city has targeted five roads for asphalt overlay/chip and seal and six for chip and seal.
The following roads are slated for asphalt overlay/chip and seal.
• East Main Street from Highway 47 and Highway 50.
• Church Street from State Street and Vondera Avenue.
• Reinhard Avenue from Main Street and State Street.
• Garfield Avenue from Locust Street and Springfield Avenue.
• Lincoln Street from Locust Street and Springfield Avenue.
The Reinhard, Garfield and Lincoln projects will include new sidewalk and curb replacement.
Lampkin said the Church Street work is the biggest project on the schedule. Work is slated to be done on 15,229 square yards of road.
The following roads have been targeted for chip and seal work.
• Ko Ko Beach Road from Clearview Road to the end of the city limits.
• Clearview Drive from Highway 50 and Clearview Drive.
• Church Street from Vondera Avenue and Independence Drive.
• Hoover Avenue from Highway 50 and Springfield Avenue.
• Rosedale Avenue from Highway 50 and Springfield Avenue.
• Autumn Hill Drive from Clark Street and Independence Drive.