With the approval of the city’s 2018-19 budget Monday night, the city can now start seeking bids for its asphalt overlay/chip seal project.
Public Works Director Harold Lampkin said the goal is to go out to bid soon so the work can be done this summer. He said the work has to be finished by October.
“Hopefully we can get the bids out in July and get the work done in August,” he said.
The city has targeted five roads for asphalt overlay/chip and seal and seven for chip and seal.
The following roads are slated for asphalt overlay/chip and seal.
• East Main Street from Highway 47 and Highway 50.
• Church Street from State Street and Vondera Avenue.
• Reinhard Avenue from Main Street and State Street.
• Garfield Avenue from Locust Street and Springfield Avenue.
• Lincoln Street from Locust Street and Springfield Avenue.
The Reinhard, Garfield and Lincoln projects will include new sidewalk and crib replacement.
Lampkin said the Church Street work is the biggest project on the schedule. Work is slated to be done on 15,229 square yards of road.
The following roads have been targeted for chip and seal work.
• Ko Ko Beach Road from Clearview Road to the end of the city limits.
• Clearview Drive from Highway 50 and Clearview Drive.
• Church Street from Vondera Avenue and Independence Drive.
• Hoover Avenue from Highway 50 and Springfield Avenue.
• Rosedale Avenue from Highway 50 and Springfield Avenue.
• Autumn Hill Drive from Clark Street and Independence Drive.
Lamkin said the city is going to try a new type of chip and seal this year on a couple of streets. It will be using a quarter-inch chip rock to get a smoother surface, he said.
“I’ve talked to one of our contractors and he said it’s doing very well,” he said. “It’s not really a cost savings, they’re going to use the same amount of rock, it’s just going to be a smoother surface.”
Lampkin said it’s possible not all roads will be worked on based on how much money is budgeted for the project. He said he’s hopeful the bids come back good enough to get all the roads redone.