Nine area fire departments assisted the Union Fire Protection District to battle a two-alarm fire at 2108 Jeffriesburg Road Monday.
Crews from St. Clair, Beaufort/Leslie, Washington, New Haven/Berger, Boles, Pacific, Sullivan and Eureka provided manpower and Cedar Hill moved up to standby during the blaze.
Fire crews were called just before noon. When crews arrived, the home was 50 percent engulfed in flames, said Capt. Greg Miller.
There were no injuries. The homeowner, Sabrina Campbell, was home at the time of the fire.
Miller said crews were on the scene until after 5 p.m. The fire department was called back early Tuesday morning after a hot spot rekindled.
The rekindling likely was caused by a pile of debris on the southwest side of the home, said Franklin County Fire Investigator Jim Schuhmacher.
The original home, a log cabin, had been renovated several times. The unique construction and additions to the home created void spaces for the fire to quickly travel and spread to other parts of the home, Miller said.
Schuhmacher said the ignition source was a gas-fired propane wall heater located too close to combustible items in the home’s kitchen. The wall heater was one of two, but the only one in operation during the time of the fire. The fire is not suspicious, he added.
Both Miller and Schuhmacher said the fire caused a “total loss” of the structure.
Campbell is seeking assistance to help with the care of two horses, including the possibility of letting the horses stay on someone’s property.
Those who wish to help care for the horses may call a family friend, Mark, who is helping Campbell, at 636-284-8795.