The Union R-XI Foundation recently awarded grants to Union R-XI teachers and staff members to enhance classroom and program budgets.
The grants were funded through the Money Saver discount card, in which area businesses partnered with the Union R-XI Foundation. The Foundation is a nonprofit educational foundation for the district. Its mission is to enhance educational excellence in the Union public schools.
The Foundation awarded nine grants that totaled $3,750.
Those who received grants are Nadine Nguyen, social skills builder; Kathy Kelchen, life skills unit; Michael Underberg, window tablet, projector and software; Charlotte Phillips, iPad for speech/language therapy; Rob Rogers, desktop maps and markers; Kim Bickel, board maker plus; Kevin Losson, renewable energy education set; Sonya Bruns and Louis Smith, primary biographies, costumes and a green screen; and Wendii Anderson and Tasha Burt, two tablets.
The Foundation is responsible for major projects benefiting the school district including Stierberger Stadium and Wildcat Country Track Complex. The Foundation also was instrumental in acquiring 30 acres of real estate on Prairie Dell Road.
The Foundation has granted more than $200,000 in scholarships to graduating UHS seniors.
Other than monetary donations, the Foundation utilizes a car donation program that already has financed over $20,000 worth of scholarships.
Accomplishments and Goals
• Coordinating the donation of funds for, planning of, and construction of Stierberger Stadium;
• Coordinating a $135,000 fund drive for developing an all-weather track at Stierberger Stadium;
• Providing continuing education scholarships for Union High School graduates;
• Executing endowed scholarship funds;
• Applying earmarked gifts for specified school use upon receipt;
• Acting as trustees of funds accrued through fund-raising activities;
• Acting as trustees of funds endowed in memorial or other scholarships;
• Acting in concert with other school support groups to facilitate the funding of programs designed to support local public education;
• Acting jointly with the Union R-XI School District to provide an annual grant intended to support a wide range of R-XI students; and
• Acting as an agent for the Union R-XI School District when deemed appropriate.