The Union Area Chamber of Commerce staff is hoping to begin a new tradition this holiday season.
The Winter Wonderland Parade will be held Friday, Dec. 13, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
The parade is held in conjunction with the Union Parks and Recreation Department’s annual Children’s Christmas Party at the Union City Auditorium, which begins immediately after the parade.
Chamber Director Aimee Frey said the Chamber and parks departments have been working together to hold the events the same night.
“I think it will be beneficial doing them together,” she said. “The parks department always has a nice crowd at their event.”
Frey added that offering more activities in the same night will draw more people to both events.
“For us it’s a no brainer to hold one in conjunction with the other,” she said. “It will increase participation at both.
“The city and Chamber are both joining to make a big event instead of two smaller ones,” Frey added.
At the parks party there will be refreshments, face painting, snowflake making, balloon sculpting, entertainment and visits with Santa. People can bring their own camera for pictures with Santa.
According to Frey, there is one major rule to take part in the Winter Wonderland Parade — lights.
“There has to be lights because it’s a Christmas parade,” she said. “I’ve done several holiday parades before. They are so much fun, and people love going to them.”
Anyone can take part in the parade, but they must is available by calling the Chamber at 636-583-8979, or by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. The waivers also are available on the Chamber’s Facebook page.
“This is a fun, easy and cheap way for organizations and businesses to advertise to the community,” Frey said.
The Chamber also is looking for businesses or organizations to set up a booth with crafts or snacks to offer following the parade.
Following are some guidelines for the parade:
• All entries must be decoratively lighted;
• Incomplete applications and liability forms will not be accepted;
• No Santas. Santa and Mrs. Claus already are scheduled to attend;
• All entries must agree to the official rules and regulations of the parade;
• The parade committee has the right to deny any applicant entry into the parade;
• The Chamber has the right to remove an entry from the parade that does not follow the rules or is in poor taste;
• All applicants are responsible for any and all acts/omissions on their part, or the part of their agents/employees, which may result in injury or damage to themselves or third parties;
• All applicants are required to abide by the rules and regulations as established by the Chamber of Commerce and by state laws;
• All cars not being used in the parade must be removed from the event area by 5 p.m.; and
• Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on float entries.