A family of seven safely escaped from a Union home that caught fire Monday afternoon.
Franklin County Arson Investigator Jim Schuhmacher said the blaze began in a bedroom in the basement of the home located at 30 Edwards Circle.
“It looks to have started on either the bed or in a baby crib right next to the bed,” he said. “We don’t think there is anything suspicious here — we’re looking at several sources of ignition.”
There were three adults and four children in the home when the fire began, Schuhmacher added. There were no injuries.
Schuhmacher said the fire was a “one-room burnout” in the southwest bedroom of the finished basement of the residence.
The family who was living there were renters. The home is owned by the United Methodist Church of Union.
The home is not habitable now.
“There was light to moderate smoke damage to the first floor, but as you progress down the smoke and heat damage becomes greater,” said Schuhmacher.
Union Fire Protection District crews were assisted at the scene by firefighters from St. Clair and Washington.
Union ambulance personnel, Union police and members of the Franklin County Sheriff’s office also responded to the blaze.
The fire was quickly brought under control by fire crews.
Red Cross Relief
A Disaster Action Team with the American Red Cross St. Louis Area Chapter is assisting the family members who were staying at the home with emergency needs.
Volunteers responded to the Edwards Circle residence Monday afternoon. They provided emergency food, clothing and lodging to the family.
The American Red Cross provides immediate assistance with food, shelter and other critical needs following emergencies.