Crews have completed several city street projects as part of annual roadway upgrades — and sidewalk installation should be finished soon.
There were both asphalt overlay, and chip and seal projects, to many streets that city officials felt were in the greatest need of upgrades,
Each year, Public Works Director Harold Lampkin prioritizes streets that need repair.
The chip and seal work was conducted by Gershenson Construction, and the asphalt overlay bid was awarded to West Contracting.
According to Lampkin, the chip and seal work was completed more than a week ago.
This type of overlay includes an oil-based product that is laid on the surface of the road, and then covered with rock aggregate.
The rock is rolled into the oil mixture and left for about two weeks. After that time the rock is swept and removed.
Lampkin said that process should occur within five days.
Most of the bridge decks of state inspected bridges within the city also were sealed with this method. The Denmark Road bridge was not treated.
Lampkin explained that the decks were treated to prevent water from penetrating the bridge material.
The city spends $40,000 in sidewalk, curb and gutter upgrades and repairs, which is conducted “in house” by city street crews.
This year, the first sidewalk project was on Autumn Hill Drive, and included 1,355 feet of sidewalk, and 238 feet of curb and gutter that has been replaced.
Now crews are completing work on Grandview Avenue from Church Street to Washington Avenue. Lampkin said that work is 80 percent complete.
Once sidewalks are complete on Grandview, city crews will move on to another project before the construction season ends.
Following is a list of city streets that were repaired:
• Hambro Avenue from Washington Avenue to Church Street;
• Roosevelt Avenue from Washington Avenue to Church Street;
• Grant Street from Washington Avenue to Church Street;
• Valley Drive from Springfield Avenue to the end of the street;
• Linder Lane from Main Street to State Street;
• Bertha Lane from Main Street to State Street;
• Clark Drive from Main Street to State Street;
• Westmoreland Boulevard from Main Street to State Street; and
• The alleyway between Main Street and Locust Street.
Chip and Seal
• Williams Drive from Independence Drive to the end of the street;
• Cedar Court from Williams Drive to the end of the street; and
• Clearview Drive from Highway 50 to North Bend Road.
Bridge Decks to Chip and Seal
• Church Street;
• Christina Avenue;
• Park Street;
• Memorial Parkway; and
• Washington Avenue.