St. Clair Assistant Police Chief Mike Wirt, right, provides details on the robbery at the St. Clair One Stop gas station to Chief Bill Hammack in front of the business on Monday afternoon.

St. Clair Police Chief Bill Hammack confirmed that his department had a man in custody after the One Stop gasoline service station in the city was robbed at knifepoint early Monday afternoon.

Hammack said the individual apprehended was a 17-year-old man, and he was being detained and questioned late Monday afternoon.

The police chief said he could not release any additional details on the individual in custody. The man was apprehended at about 4:15 p.m. 

No one was injured during the incident.

St. Clair Police, the Franklin County Sheriff's Office and the Missouri Highway Patrol all investigated the robbery at the service station, located at 1125 Sycamore Lane, that took place at about 1:45 p.m.

According to reports, a tall, thin, white male wielding a knife entered the store on the south end of the city off of Highway PP and demanded money. The clerk working at the time told The Missourian that she handed over all the money in the cash drawer.

The clerk said that the suspect then fled the business on foot and ran up a hill behind it. Reports stated that the man ran either toward West Springfield Road or the Crescent Village Mobile Home Park.

Before he was able to leave, however, the clerk told The Missourian that a customer inside the store knocked the suspect down, and he dropped most of the money during the altercation.

The suspect was described as wearing dark pants, a dark jacket and a tan baseball hat. He also had a handkerchief covering his face at the time of the robbery.

Authorities were interviewing witnesses at the scene and collecting evidence both inside and outside the business after the incident was reported. The entire business was taped off during the investigation. 

A phone blast sent by St. Clair R-XIII School District Superintendent Mike Murphy at about 2:45 p.m. informed parents that because of the incident, schools were placed on "modified lockdown" because of the robbery.

The phone blast incorrectly stated that a man had been apprehended by that time. Central office secretary Joyce Strothcamp told The Missourian that school district personnel had received conflicting reports and that they inadvertently put out the incorrect information.

However, students in St. Clair schools were dismissed as usual without incident at the end of the school day.

See the Wednesday Missourian for the complete story.