Bomb Threat at SCJHS

St. Clair Junior High School students and staff walk from their building to the high school after a note indicating explosives were inside the building was found late Thursday morning.

St. Clair Police issued an "all clear" at the junior high school early Thursday afternoon after a bomb threat forced the evacuation of the building about 90 minutes earlier.

Police Chief Bill Hammack told The Missourian at about 12:30 p.m. that after a thorough, room-by-room and facility search, no explosives or threat of any kind were found. St. Clair Police were assisted by local fire protection district personnel and St. Clair R-XIII School District staff.

The junior high school was evacuated as a precautionary measure at about 11 a.m. after a message was found indicating there were explosives in the building. The note, scribbled on a desk in one of the classrooms, stated that C-4 explosives were inside the building. 

Junior high students quickly were moved to the next-door high school gymnasium until the thorough search of the junior high could be conducted. 

R-XIII Superintendent Mike Murphy said a student saw the note shortly before 11 a.m. and informed the classroom teacher who immediately informed the R-XIII administration.

Murphy also told The Missourian that a junior high school student admitted to writing the note on the desk. The superintendent said disciplinary measures will be discussed and taken.

Hammack said an investigation determined that a 13-year-old seventh-grader was responsible for the written message on the desk. Results of the investigation will be forwarded to Franklin County juvenile authorities.

At about 11:30 a.m., Murphy sent a district phone blast reporting the incident and that all students were safe. He said further updates will be communicated when they become available. He sent an "all-clear" phone blast at about 12:45 p.m.

Junior high students were fed lunch at the high school before they were sent back to their school. Parents who wished to picked up their children early were allowed to do so. 

For any additional details, see the Weekend Missourian.