The city has made plans to move forward with a second 2017 application for federal funds to buy out or elevate flood-damaged properties.

The issue was discussed at the board of aldermen meeting Dec. 19.

The city notified SEMA in September that it wished to be considered for additional assistance for flood damage totaling $1.44 million, which would include a city match of $360,415.

In its request for CDBG disaster recovery funds for the city’s match, the city reported that the 2017 flood impacted approximately 200 residential structures and 50 businesses, with 46 homes and 13 businesses receiving major damage.

Approximately 400 people were evacuated, and 32 people were sheltered, 20 of those for at least five nights.

After that flood, FEMA classified 61 properties as either severe repetitive loss or repetitive loss. Total damage in the 2017 flood was estimated at $10 million.

Speaking at the Dec. 19 board meeting, City Administrator Steve Roth said the city has been invited to apply for up to $1 million in federal hazard mitigation grant program (HMGP) funding for buyouts of properties in the flood zone.

This is in addition to the $1 million Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant application submitted in October.

Former city engineer Dan Rahn will assist the city with the application, which is due March 1 to the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).

The $1 million request could include up to 15 properties, depending on the market value of the individual properties.

Roth said he wants to schedule a workshop or public forum for property owners in mid-January to discuss the program details and specific requirements.

Aldermen approved the meeting date of Wednesday, Jan. 17, from 3 to 7 p.m. at city hall.

Rahn was approved to assist with the application after he appeared at the meeting Nov. 19.

As former city engineer and flood plain manager, Rahn assisted with the October application for $1 million in buyout funds that was submitted in October and finalized in November.

Rahn now manages the Engineering, Surveying and Services (ESS) office in Wildwood.

The grant program is voluntary and property owners must notify the city that they are interested in a buyout. Under the HMGP program, property owners are not required to have flood insurance.