A Pacific man in custody on a homicide charge allegedly assaulted other inmates on two occasions at the Franklin County Jail.

Aaron R. Hodges, 24, was charged Friday, Feb. 23, with two counts of third-degree assault for incidents that occurred in July and September 2017.

Hodges is in custody on charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the June 2015 deaths of Cory A. Dreiling, 26, and Elroy “Mark” Gretzmacher Jr., 35.

According to the probable cause statement filed by the Franklin County Sheriff’s office, on July 28, 2017, Hodges punched another inmate in the face. The man was taken to Mercy Hospital Washington for treatment of a laceration to his left eye.

On Sept. 8, 2017, a deputy witnessed Hodges attempt to strike a different inmate.

Murder Charge

Hodges confessed to the murders of Dreiling and Gretzmacher four different times, including re-enacting the crime at the scene for investigators, authorities told The Missourian in 2015.

Authorities believe the men were murdered sometime after 11 p.m. Sunday, June 21, 2015, in their apartment in the Westmoor Place Complex on North Monroe Avenue, Pacific.

No information on the murder and armed criminal action charges is available through the courts.

Hodges, who was staying in a nearby apartment in the same building, was acquainted with the victims and they often played video games together, investigators told The Missourian in 2015.

After his arrest for the murders, investigators with the St. Louis Major Case Squad returned with Hodges to the scene and he described the series of events. During the “walk-through,” the suspect was served with a grand jury indictment charging him with the murders.

Pacific police first had contact with Hodges when they received the report of someone breaking into the bedroom of a ground floor apartment four buildings away from where the murders occurred. The tenant held the suspect until police officers arrived.

Police later got a 96-hour commitment order for Hodges, who made statements about being possessed and attacked by demons and of killing people, authorities said.

When the mother of one of the victims discovered the murders the following morning and called police, Hodges was being evaluated at Mercy Hospital St. Louis in Creve Coeur.

As soon as police connected the murders with the burglary, a detective went to the St. Louis hospital to arrest Hodges and return him to Franklin County.

At the hospital, Hodges was questioned under controlled conditions, police said.

During an investigation of the crime scene, investigators found the suspected murder weapon, a military-style knife.

Both victims had been stabbed multiple times.

Authorities said Hodges does not have a history of violent criminal charges. He was on probation in a 2012 felony case for leaving the scene of an accident when the deaths occurred. He was given a suspended imposition sentence and placed on five years’ supervised probation after pleading guilty to the charge in October 2013.