Jeremiah Bair

The Washington area man accused of killing his grandfather at his breakfast table Wednesday morning was known to law enforcement.

Jeremiah Bair, 25, is charged with shooting Harold Humphrey, 86, following a disagreement in Humphrey’s home, according to a probable cause statement filed in the prosecutor’s office by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.

After shooting Humphrey at about 8:41 a.m, Bair allegedly gave the pistol to his grandmother who witnessed the shooting, authorities said. She directed Bair to call 911 and he remained on scene until deputies arrived.

Bair was charged Wednesday afternoon with second-degree murder and armed criminal action. He is being held in the Franklin County Jail on a $200,000 cash-only bond.

Authorities allege Bair walked from his home to the Humphrey’s residence in the 2700 block of Newport Road.

Bair’s grandparents were eating breakfast and invited him to join them, but Bair declined, according to the probable cause statement.

Bair demanded an apology from his grandfather who had difficulty hearing and did not know what Bair was talking about, authorities said.

Humphrey tried to reason with Bair, authorities allege, but when Bair did not receive the apology he shot Humphrey one time on the right side of his chest with a .45-caliber ACP pistol.

The pistol was purchased by Bair Oct. 31, 2017, from a store in Washington, according to the probable cause statement.

Bair was taken to the sheriff’s office and was found to be in possession of a holster for the pistol, concealed in his left boot, authorities said.

In 2013, The Missourian reported that Bair was accused of firing a gun inside his parents’ home.

Sheriff’s deputies were called to the home on Bluff Road outside the Washington city limits. According to a report, Bair had been involved in an argument with his parents and had gone to the basement where he fired three rounds from an SKS rifle into the wall.

When deputies questioned the suspect, they found he had a loaded handgun in the waistband of his pants, the report stated.

Initially, Bair was charged with one count of felony unlawful use of a weapon.

Under a plea deal, the charge was reduced to misdemeanor peace disturbance, first offense, and Bair was given two years’ supervised probation.

According to Washington police, officers have been dispatched multiple times to Bluff Road for a report of a man walking roadside carrying a firearm. Bair was located by police during those incidents, but no charges were filed against him.