A Beaufort area man is charged with felonies for allegedly striking two teens on the head with a crowbar.

A Franklin County felony complaint was issued Monday, Dec. 18, charging Brian K. Epperson, 32, with two counts each of first-degree assault and armed criminal action. He is being held in the Franklin County Jail on a $25,000 bond.

The felony complaint alleges that on Sunday, Dec. 3, Epperson struck a 16-year-old female and a teen male with a crowbar near Union. 

Deputies responded to the 1200 block of Evergreen Lane, St. Clair, that day where the female victim reported the assault. A family member transported the girl to the hospital where she was given three staples in her head as a result of the assault, according to the probable cause statement filed by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department.  

The same day a deputy responded to the Union Police station where the 18-year-old male victim told authorities he was struck with a crowbar on his head by Epperson. The male victim received six staples in the front of his head in the hairline above his left eye, according the sheriff’s office.

Three witnesses identified Epperson as the man who struck the teens. 

Epperson was arrested Thursday, Dec. 14, in Pacific on a warrant for failure to appear in court on charges of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident and driving without insurance. During an interview with police, Epperson said he fought with the minors and pushed them down. He denied striking them with a crowbar, according to the probable cause statement. 

Epperson initially had been charged with two counts of second-degree assault and armed criminal action, but the charges were amended Monday to two counts of first-degree assault. 

In May 2016, Epperson was given probation for allegedly trying to steal a man’s wallet.

According to Union police, during the 2016 incident officers were dispatched to the area of Highway 50 and Clearview Drive May 4 about 3:20 a.m. for a report of a stolen vehicle. 

The victim described Epperson as an old friend, and he and another man needed a ride and offered marijuana in exchange. 

Epperson allegedly tried to take the victim’s wallet. Epperson and the other man left the area in the vehicle. The man who was with Epperson turned himself into police about two hours later. 

Police located Epperson four days later and chased him on foot from the Union Walmart parking lot to near Highway 50 where he was arrested.