The man who escaped custody from the Franklin County Jail was being held on probation violations from 2015 felony charges.

On Wednesday, Ricky A. Johnson Jr., 37, escaped out a kitchen door at the Franklin County Jail about 6 a.m. He was captured about eight hours later.

He was incarcerated for violating the terms of his probation on charges of second-degree burglary and receiving stolen property

Johnson was caught on tape in June 2015 allegedly burglarizing the Finish Line Cafe on Highway 30 in Lonedell.

To make the 2015 arrest, Franklin County Sheriff’s Office detectives used footage from a surveillance camera that had taped Johnson who broke in and stole cash from the business.

Even though the suspect’s face was covered, deputies were able to identify Johnson as a suspect and that led them to a home outside of St. Clair.

At the home, deputies arrested him and recovered most of the stolen cash, the sheriff’s office reported.

Johnson was sentenced Jan. 20, 2017, to 110 days’ “shock time” at the Franklin County Jail and five years’ supervised probation.

According to court records he violated the terms of his probation in March 2018.

At the time of the burglary, Johnson was free on bond in a pending felony stealing case stemming from an August 2014 incident. Union police investigated that crime.

Johnson has prior convictions for felony leaving the scene of a vehicle accident and in two separate felony stealing cases, according to court records.

Stealing Cases

Johnson was arrested in December 2014 for stealing after he allegedly shoplifted a bottle of alcohol.

According to St. Clair police, Johnson was charged with stealing after video surveillance showed him removing a bottle of Jagermeister from a shelf inside the Country Mart grocery store and attempting to leave without paying for it.

Charges were issued through St. Clair Municipal Court.

Johnson was charged with felony burglary and misdemeanor property damage after an incident in January 2016.

According to St. Clair police, officers were dispatched to Precision Rebuilders, 350 N. Commercial Ave., at 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 26 in regards to a burglary that had just occurred. An employee who was working late after a shift told officers that he had heard a noise in the factory building. He went to the office of the facility and said he observed Johnson, a former employee, walking away from the area.

Johnson exited the back door of the building before police arrived.

Officers who processed the scene located several doors that had been pried open, and the offices had been rummaged.

A search of the area for Johnson yielded negative results. Johnson was captured on Feb. 1, 2016.

According to police, Johnson confessed to breaking into the back of the building by climbing through a window.