Franklin County needs to monitor the retention of its employees as the economy improves and more opportunities become available to workers, the county’s 2014 budget document states.
There currently is a low turnover rate for county employees, but this could increase as the unemployment rate falls, says the document, which is from County Auditor Tammy Vemmer.
The county’s November unemployment rate was 5.8 percent, according to figures from the Missouri Department of Economic Development. The last time the county’s unemployment rate was lower than that was March of 2007, the figures show.
The county budgeted about $450,000 to provide employee pay raises for 2014. The raises consist of a 1.5 percent cost-of-living increase, and workers may also be eligible for another 1.5 percent merit raise, for a possible total raise of 3 percent.
Elected officials will only get the cost-of-living adjustment.
The budget document states that the county has avoided major layoffs and has dealt with economic conditions through attrition, which involves leaving positions vacant after someone leaves, the document states.
County employees’ health insurance premiums will not go up in the 2014 fiscal year, which starts Wednesday.
Most employees’ deductible amounts will not change from 2013.
Under the county’s health insurance plan for 2014, a single employee’s deductible will be $2,500, but the county will pay $2,000 of that. The family deductible is $5,000, but the county will pay $4,000.
Under the new health insurance plan, the premiums for a single employee will be $128 per month, and the county will pay $384 per month.
For a family plan, the premium will be $418 per month, and the county will pay $1,255 per month.
Employees will see one increase in costs under the new plan as the emergency room co-pay will rise from $200 to $250.
But a co-pay on prescription drugs will drop from $75 to $60.
“The county strives to provide competitive benefits to its employees at a reasonable cost to the taxpayers,” the budget document adds.