The Washington Skate Park at Optimist Park will officially open Thursday, May 23.
A grand opening celebration is set for 6 p.m. Several guests who were instrumental in getting the skate park up and running will speak at the event prior to the opening, including Matt Clayton with The Crux.
“We’re looking forward to getting it open,” said Darren Dunkle, parks director. “There have been many kids patiently awaiting this day.”
Painting the perimeter of the skate park was being completed Tuesday and Wednesday, Dunkle said.
The skate park is unsupervised, but has several rules and regulations.
It is strongly recommended that safety equipment, including helmet, knee pads, wrist guards and elbow pads be worn at all times to help provide suitable protection in the event of falls or collisions.
Other reminders include:
• Hours of permitted use are from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Children 12 years of age or under are to be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older.
• No competitive or demonstration events are allowed without prior approval of the director of parks and recreation.
• Only skateboards, in-line skates and bicycles (bike pegs must be plastic) are allowed in the skate park. No motorized or other wheeled devices are allowed.
• No glass containers, food or beverages are allowed in the skate park.
• No other items such as benches, picnic tables, or other objects used as ramps or jumps are allowed in the skate park.
• No pets are allowed in the skate park.
• Please refrain from using bold language and inappropriate behavior.
• Vandalism will result in the closing of the skate park.
• Inspect the surface before you begin. Remove all trash and debris.
• Skate with safety in mind and remember weather conditions may create unsafe surfaces for skating and biking.
• Be courteous to other users. Take turns and use the facility responsibly to avoid injury to yourself and others.
A sign with rules and reminders will be located at the skate park.