Trailer Fire

Larry Hoisington’s pipes were frozen.

In an attempt to thaw the pipes, Hoisington got his blowtorch and went to work. A spark, however, went astray and soon his home was up in flames.

“A spark hit the insulation and everything went,” he said.

Hoisington’s mobile home, located in the 900 block of Longhorn Lane in the Circle C Trailer Court just west of Pacific, was completely destroyed by the afternoon fire Tuesday, Jan. 7. Hoisington was able to escape unharmed.

“I got me and my dog OK,” he said.

James Casey, Boles Fire Protection District Chief, said crews responded to the first call at around 12:30 p.m. Casey said the fire had engulfed 80 percent of the home by the time crews arrived.

“The crews got it knocked down pretty quick, but it was a total loss on the trailer,” Casey said.

Hoisington said there wasn’t much salvageable after the blaze.

“I got my guns out last night,” Hoisington said Wednesday afternoon.

The fire at Hoisington’s home began to spread next door before crews could put it out. Casey said a trampoline separating two homes caught fire and caused damage to the neighboring home.

“The trampoline caught fire and provided some additional heat to the next door trailer,” Casey said. “There was some skirting that melted and a couple of windows cracked because of heat.”

Casey said the damage to the neighbor’s home was minimal and the home was still livable.

Crews from Pacific, Metro West, Washington and Union assisted in the effort. There were no injuries reported.

With his home gone, Hoisington wasn’t sure of his next step.

“I don’t know yet,” he said. “I’m staying with my brother-in-law right now. The fire department gave me a number for the Red Cross, but I haven’t called them yet.”