Placing second in the Class 1 Section 1 track meet Saturday at MICDS, the New Haven girls track team will look to carry its momentum into this week’s MSHSAA Class 1 state meet.
“We were pleased with the way both teams performed at sectional,” New Haven Head Coach John Tucker said. “There were no real surprises. We qualified in the events that we should have a got a few through who were on the cusp.”
New Haven’s girls scored 114 points to place second to Salisbury in the sectional meet. A total of 27 schools scored points.
On the boys side, New Haven scored 38 points to finish ninth among 26 schools. Salisbury won at 103.
The top four finishers in each event advance to this week’s MSSHAA State Championships at Lincoln University in Jefferson City.
“Our girls relays will be very competitive at state based on sectional performances from around the state,” Tucker said. “Our individual events they are going to have to step up but we are hopeful that many can earn all state honors. The boys 3,200 relay looks strong and the 1,600 relay will have to step it up to make finals, but it is within their ability to do so.”
Girls State Qualifiers
• Senior Taylor Covington won the 800-meter run in 2:28.94.
• New Haven’s 400-meter relay team of junior Stephanie Russo, sophomore Hanna Fitts, sophomore Nichole Zeitzmann and senior Molly Munsinger won in 53.48.
• Russo, freshman Emma Engelbrecht, Zeitzmann and Munsinger combined to win the 800-meter relay in 1:51.13.
• New Haven won the 1,600-meter relay in 4:13.8. Running were senior Hannah Preussner, Munsinger, Zeitzmann and Covington.
• Covington was second in the 400-meter dash in 1:02.62.
• Senior Bethany Schenck was second in the high jump at 4-10. She tied Salisbury’s Sarah Willhite on misses. Elly Boothe of Silex won at 4-10.
• Engelbrecht placed second in the triple jump at 33-9.5 and junior Ereka Bailey was fourth at 32-4.75.
• The Lady Shamrocks placed third in the 3,200-meter relay with Covington, senior Kayla Borcherding, senior Mackenzy Vedder and Pruessner running a time of 10:28.26.
• Engelbrecht and Munsinger qualified in the 200-meter dash. Engelbrecht was third in 27.87 and Munsinger followed in 28.17.
• Freshman Lauren Gerlemann placed fourth in the long jump at 15-2.75.
• Junior Lauren Bergner was fourth in the long jump at 32-10.5.
Boys State Qualifiers
New Haven had one individual and two relay teams qualify for the state meet.
• The 3,200-meter relay team of freshman Nathan Ford, junior Jonathan Stone, junior Keven McDowell and senior Dominick Pataky won in 8:38.85.
• Junior Alex Majors finished second in the 200-meter dash in 23.86.
• The 1,600-meter relay team of McDowell, Stone, sophomore Brady Kruse and Majors ended fourth in 3:40.25.