The AARP Tax-Aide program, the nation’s largest, volunteer run, tax assistance and preparation service, in January will begin scheduling appointments to help seniors file their federal and state tax returns.

This free service can answer most of the tax issues faced by low- and moderate-income tax payers. The program pays special attention to those 60 and over.

Last year, nationally, approximately 35,000 volunteers helped over 2.6 million taxpayers file their federal, state and local returns.

Trained volunteers will be preparing federal and state returns by appointment at Union City Hall, 500 Locust St., Union, and the Washington Senior Center, 1459 W. 5th St., Washington, beginning the first week of February.

For Tuesday appointments in Union, people should call 314-525-1660 on or after Jan. 20.

For Thursday appointments in Washington, people should call 636-432-1359 on Tuesdays or Wednesdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. beginning Jan. 21.

Also, starting on Feb. 3, Property Tax Credit Forms (Circuit breaker) will be prepared on Mondays at the Union Senior Center. For an appointment, people should call 636-583-5432.

Other local sites where volunteers will be helping people file their tax returns include Tri-County Senior Center in Pacific (636-257-6264) and the Route 66 Senior Center in Eureka (314-525-1660).

For other sites, people should call 1-888-227-7669 or go to the Tax-Aide web page,

What to Bring

• Copy of last year income tax returns, federal and state;

• W-2 forms from all employers;

• 1099-G unemployment compensation statement;

• SSA-1099 if you are on Social Security;

• All 1099 forms showing interest/dividends/miscellaneous income;

• Brokers statements with original purchase price of sold assets;

• All 1099 R forms from pension or annuity payments;

• All forms indicating federal tax paid, including estimated tax paid (federal and state);

• Documentation of charitable contributions;

• Receipts of paid items if itemizing deductions (real estate tax, personal property tax, mortgage interest, paid health and long term care insurance, etc);

• Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refunds;

• Identification (Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and dependents);

• Photo ID.

Not everyone is required to file an income tax return. There is a minimum income not subject to taxation. To find this minimum, look up form 9452 at

If you do not need to file, but have had any tax withheld, the only way to get your refund is to file a return.

Volunteers are always needed. Visit for information on this program.